I was playing Tetris on my Mac the other day, and i suddenly realized that the game is really modeled on life! Yes my friends, the oh-so-addictive brick game we all played (i still play it, now what does that say about me?) is actually telling us, ‘Hey morons, this is what life is like’
A few random thoughts about Tetris’ lifelike features..
1. People are different. So are the blocks which drop down from above. Some blocks might be the same though, this just means you’ve got friends who share interests with you.
2. You cannot go back and change life. The blocks in Tetris move only down and not in the reverse direction.
3. Sometimes you find the right fit (in your career, a perfect life partner, whatever) and when you find that fit, you cease to exist as a discrete unit. You become a part of whatever institution. Same thing happens when a block fits into a proper slot. It ceases to exist in its previous form.
4. Sometimes you have to be flexible in life, probably change yourself, to fit into a relationship or your workplace. Similarly, some blocks have to turned and twisted in order to fit them into the holes.
5. Teamwork. If all the blocks don’t twist and turn around to fit properly, its GAME OVER pretty soon. But if you keep playing good, the game only becomes faster and tougher. Thats like when you do good work with your team, you get promoted to a bigger position with more responsibility.
6. Ok this is a little too deep and I don’t believe it but i’ll say it anyway. Maybe (and thats a BIG maybe), just like a Tetris player, there is someone/something out there using some buttons to play with our lives.
Wow. I cannot believe that small game has so much deep shit in it!
If you read all the above stuff, you are vetti-er than I am. Go do something constructive! Or at least go play Tetris…